Tuesday, April 24, 2012

We Were Like Sisters

I called my best friend and I told her what happened. I read Abby's reply to my message. We both just cried and cried. I told her that Abby had left her phone number. She wanted me to call her. My phone was messed up and if I called her, I wouldn't be able to hear her. I was so nervous. I just wanted to run outside and be alone for this first ever phone call between us.


I knew that Abby wanted to speak to me just as much as I wanted to speak to her, so I gave her my number. A few moments later, the phone rang. I could barely walk, I was so nervous. I walked outside and away we went.


"What do you know about your birth mother?" I asked. She told me everything that matched the registry information.


Then I began to tell her about our mom and how the information that she just told me matched what I had to tell her. We began to discuss some of the other things that we knew. I told her that our mother and grandmother's side of the family are of Finnish descent. That's when Abby remembered, they had told her that she was mostly Finnish. Oh! Wow!


The conversation flowed like honey from our mouths. Who knew that two strangers could talk so comfortably? We began to discuss our similarities.


"Do your fingernails chip?"


"Are your legs skinny, too?"


"Are you a nervous person?"


The questions came out one after the other-- like a barrage of friendly, familiar bullets.


After speaking on the phone for over two hours, we decided that we would call our sister Cathy and talk three-way. All I can say about this one is, "WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN?"


Our conversation was so lively and gay! We laughed so much, if anyone would have heard our conversation, they'd have thought that we knew each other our whole lives. We had the same voice. We had the same laugh. We wouldn't allow the other people to speak. We were like...SISTERS!!!!


Abby got her two sons, my nephews, on the phone and we talked to them. They couldn't believe how much their mother sounded like these two new women on the phone. They, like us, were in awe.


After speaking with Cathy, Abby got my sister Lori on the phone, then Kelly...it was all coming together. We were catching up on lost time and we didn't even realize it.

1 comment:

  1. ...My body type is like an Apple on a Stick! What?....We are alike! That's the Skinner Trait!

    ReplyDelete