Saturday, June 23, 2012

Getting Some Things Off of My Chest

When Abby called me on our way home from Georgia I felt like I needed to get some things off of my chest. I didn't feel like things went the way that she would have liked them to. I had noticed some things at the reunion that I thought needed addressed. For one, why did it feel like Abby not getting the attention that I thought that she deserved? Don't get me wrong, she was getting plenty of attention from cousins and aunts and uncles, but was she getting enough attention from her siblings? 

I knew that I didn't feel like I had given her enough of my time at the reunion. I was so busy running around visiting with this one and the other, had I given her enough? So, it was with heavy heart that I retraced my steps at the reunion and took a closer look at how things went.

Was it my imagination or was she being tossed around? Looking for a place to fit in? Were us sisters treating her the way that she thought that she'd be treated? Did we involve her in all of our intimate conversations? Did we really treat her like family?

That final question is a good question, and it is a question that I feel has to be answered. Since Abby came into our family, we have all had a chance to look closer at our 'family unit'. Before the reunion, we had made jokes about ourselves. We said that our family reunion was going to make the worst episodes of Jerry Springer look like an episode of Sesame Street.

Would we all be able to get along? Several of us had tried to mend our ways, for the sake of Abby, before the reunion. Would I be able to get along with the one I'd been fighting with? How about the two that never showed, would they get along with each other? Would they get along with the ones that they were fighting with at the reunion? 

We laughed and joked that it was going to be like Eminem's song, "Two trailer park girls going 'round the outside, 'round the outside." We died laughing as we said, "Well, I can just avoid this one, by going around the tree when that one comes." And "If you see that one coming, just duck into the house." But did I really think that it would be that way? 

As it was, two of the siblings weren't able to make it. I told them that maybe it was for the best. Even though they wanted to meet Abby, maybe it was better to wait, so that it really wouldn't turn into that Jerry Springer episode.

As it was, when I first walked into the big house, I was approached by one sister who said, "The host is gonna freak out and kick everyone out." I was floored when I heard that. I mean, I hadn't been in the house for longer than five minutes before I heard that. What was going to happen for the whole day?

It seemed as though everyone got along. There were no knock-down drag outs, but as I said, I still felt a little awkward. Was it my imagination or were some sisters treating her 'different'? For example, why did some seem to be so clique-like with each other? Why did some stay home from the lake? Why didn't they come over to Mom's at all, until the day we left?

These are all question that I felt had to come to surface with Abby and I. I didn't feel like I was going to be able to be honest with her if I didn't tell her how I felt. So, that is what happened. I just  unloaded when I talked to her. I felt like maybe, if she was feeling the same way, that I would be validating her feelings.

The funny thing is, she agreed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment